Art and Museum
Teaching Staff: Kontopanagou Ekaterini-Konstantina
Course Code: MUS150
Course Category: Specific Background
Course Type: Elective
Course Level: Undergraduate
Course Language: Greek
Delivery method: Face to face
Total Hours: 3
E Class Page: https://opencourses.ionio.gr/modules/auth/opencourses.php?fc=26
Through the presentation of the great museum organisms and the perceptions that characterize their museum policy, an overview of the history of art, as shown in the modern museum, is made. Emphasis is placed on art from the 18th century to the present. It analyzes the artistic trends and the creations of Neoclassicism and Romanticism of the 19th century. Of particular importance for contemporary museums is the art of pioneers, as well as the questioning of the modern in the 20th century and the new media.
The course aims at familiarizing students with modern museological theory and practice, the new approaches to the museum institution through the concept of modern art.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Understand the theoretical framework that governs modern trends in museum practice
- Recognize the new forms and contemporary interpretive approaches that are developed internationally in museums as well as to understand the background of the art that shapes them
- Design an interpretative intervention based on the artistic moves of modern art
Week #1: Introductory remarks
Week #2: Places and Times of Modern Art History
Week #3: Artistic production and Historiography
Week #4: From Neoclassicism to Modern Art
Week #5: Artistic creation, the dominant spaces and ways of its exposure
Week #6: Classify art before the modernity
Week #7: Museum and encyclopaedic collection
Week #8: Exhibition and collections in the postmodern museum
Week #9: The Museum of Contemporary Art and the collection as a spectacle
Week #10: Contemporary museum concepts and the art of pioneers
Week #11: Contemporary museum concepts and the art of pioneers
Week #12: Contemporary museum concepts and the art of pioneers
Week #13: Museum exhibition and artistic trends of modern art
- Α. Κανιάρη, Το Μουσείο ως χώρος της Ιστορίας της Τέχνης (Αθήνα 2013)
- Α. Κανιάρη, Το φαινόμενο του Μουσείου και το γεγονός της Τέχνης (Αθήνα 2015)
- H. Gombrich, Το χρονικό της τέχνης (2011)
- Vergo, Introduction. In: P. Vergo (επιμ.), The new museology (London1989) 1-5.
- Vergo, Επανεξέταση της “Νέας Μουσειολογίας”, Αρχαιολογία και Τέχνες 70, 1999, 50-52.
The following teaching and learning methods will be used:
Course evaluation of is based on: A written essay (50%) and the final exams (50%)
In shaping the final grade, however, the active and positive participation in the course will be taken into account as a whole.