Museumpedagogy – Museum Education
Teaching Staff: Kontopanagou Ekaterini-Konstantina
Course Code: MUS400
Course Category: Specific Background
Course Type: Compulsory
Course Level: Undergraduate
Course Language: Greek
Delivery method: Face to face
Total Hours: 3
E Class Page: https://opencourses.ionio.gr/modules/auth/opencourses.php?fc=26
The course deals with the relation between museology and pedagogy and the connection of the modern museum with education. The educational role of the modern museum is presented and analyzed, centered on the connection between the modern museum with school and lifelong learning.
Individual themes concern the theories of learning and their applications in contemporary museum events, the characteristics of museum educational programs, the design and evaluation of museum educational activities, museum games, the digital learning environment on the museum websites. The aim is to highlight the ways in which theoretical approaches can be applied in practice when designing educational activities.
Upon successful completion of the course the student will be able to:
- Understand the importance of organizing and implementing museum education programs
- Become acquainted with all the stages of organizing and implementing museum educators
Week #1: Introductory remarks
Week #2: Museumpedagogy: Basic concepts
Week #3: Elements of history, theory and philosophy of museums
Week #4: Nascence and evolution of the European museum education
Week #5: Educational / learning role of museums today in the museum environment.
Week #6: Learning theories
Week #7: Issues of designing and implementing museum-educational activities
Week #8: Application Practices
Week #9: Education Kit
Week #10: Assessment of museum-educational activities
Week #11: The museum as an open space, a lifelong "workshop of experience and knowledge"
Week #12: Modern trends and theories
Week #13: Prospects and realization of museum educators
- Black, Graham, Το ελκυστικό μουσείο. Μουσεία και επισκέπτες (Αθήνα 2009)
- Ν. Νικονάνου κ.α., Μουσειακή Μάθηση και εμπειρία στον 21ο αιώνα (Αθήνα 2015)
- Eilean Hooper‐Greenhill, Museums and Education. Purpose, Pedagogy, Performance (Λονδίνο 2007)
- Ν. Νικονάνου, Μουσειοπαιδαγωγική (Αθήνα 2010)
- Ν. Νικονάνου, Ο ρόλος της Μουσειοπαιδαγωγικής στα σύγχρονα μουσεία, Τετράδια Μουσειολογίας 2, 2005, 18‐25.
In every course there will be collaboration with students in the field of cultural activities and the presentation of new data in museum-educational projects from Greek and foreign museums.
Written examination and compulsory homework and presentation.