Electronic Records Management
Teaching Staff: Damigos Matthew
Course Code: ARC510
Course Category: Specific Background
Course Type: Compulsory
Course Level: Undergraduate
Course Language: Greek
Delivery method: Face to face
Total Hours: 3
E Class Page: https://opencourses.ionio.gr/modules/auth/opencourses.php?fc=26
The subject of the course is to get acquainted with the basic concepts of electronic records (e-records). The electronic media provides particular characteristics to the records and therefore demands different methods for their management. The definition of the document is specialized and the records management life cycle acquires new characteristics.
The course presents the definitions of e-records and the main parameters that affect their management. Moreover the main design parameters of the information systems that manage e-records are presented.
The lesson provides also a practice part including aiming to familiarize the students with the main e-records metadata schemas.
This course aims to provide a complete and in-depth knowledge of the basic principles for the management of e-records. The students will acquire knowledge regarding the e-records life-cycle and the main functionalities of the information systems for e-records management.
Week #1: Definitions: e-records, characteristics and production.
Week #2: E-records management: definitions and characteristics.
Week #3: E-records life-cycle.
Week #4: E-records management information systems: Definitions and their functionalities.
Week #5: E-records management information systems: Definitions and their functionalities.
Week #6: E-records management information systems: Definitions and their functionalities.
Week #7: E-records access and security.
Week #8: Preservation issues.
Week #9: E-records metadata (eGMS, AGLS, GILS, Moreq).
Week #10: E-records metadata (eGMS, AGLS, GILS, Moreq).
Week #11: E-records metadata (eGMS, AGLS, GILS, Moreq).
Week #12: E-records metadata (eGMS, AGLS, GILS, Moreq).
Week #13: Interoperability issues.
- UK National Archives, Requirements for Electronic Records Management Systems 2: Metadata standard (eGMS3), 2004.
- ISO DIS 23081-1, Information and documentation - Records management processes - Metadata for records, Part 1: Principles, 2004.
- Greek legislation regarding the e-records development and operation.
Official Web Pages of Metadata Standards
- Moreq standard, https://ec.europa.eu/info/about-european-commission/service-standards-and-principles/transparency/freedom-information/access-documents/information-and-document-management_en
- AGLS metadata standard, http://www.agls.gov.au/
- Computationa Archiavl Science, http://dcicblog.umd.edu/cas/
Lectures making extensive use of visual aids. Practical training takes place in the computer laboratory.
Course evaluation includes written examination.