Managing Archival Material and Archives
Teaching Staff: Minotou Marietta
Course Code: ARC218
Field: General Core
Course Type: Compulsory
Course Level: Undergraduate
Course Language: Greek
Delivery method: Face to face
Total Hours: 3
E Class Page: https://opencourses.ionio.gr/modules/auth/opencourses.php?fc=26
The concepts of the legal nature, institutional activity and the primary structure of the production organization in relation to the restoration of records. Methods and practices of file management for research purposes. Electronic management. Access and research tools. The role of international standards of description and their relation to factors of origin, exogenous and endogenous characters of documents and archives. The legal regulation and the conditions for accessing and using files. Managing modern files. Methods and sampling techniques. The General State Archives and the legal framework for their operation. The International Council of Archives and International Organizations. The profession of the Archivist.
- The aim of the course is to provide specialized knowledge for the production and management of Administrative Records and the analysis of specific issues related to the selection and clearance of inactive public files, as well as to the restoration and access of historical archives.
- Upon successful completion of the course the student will be able to possess the special knowledge of the methodology and practices related to the management of archival material and files in conventional and digital formats.
Week #1: Introduction. The Administration, as a producer and manager of the bulk of records.
Week #2: Electronic processing and processing of current records at the production site.
Week #3: Play Docs and Files.
Week #4: Copy, digitization, microphone usage.
Week #5: Basic archive work in summary: locating, sorting, describing, indexing, integrating research tools, maintenance, viewing, and making available to the public.
Week #6: Digital production and distribution of documents. Digital recording. Business correspondence.
Week #7: Select and clear inactive public files: Swell files. Selecting and clearing modern files.
Week #8: Restore and Access Historical Records. Chronology.
Week #9: Restore the file. Sense. Problematic. From theory to practice.
Week #10: Access and research tools. The importance of international standards of description.
Week #11: General State Archives. International Council of Archives and International Organizations. The profession of Archivist: Conditions and special qualifications.
Week #12: Educational visit to the General Archives of the Prefecture of Corfu.
Week #13: The legal regulations and conditions for accessing and using files. Practical exercises.
- Μαριάννα Κολυβά: «Εγχειρίδιο Αρχειονομίας, Θεωρητικές προσεγγίσεις. Οργάνωση και σκοποί. Σύγχρονες προκλήσεις», εκδόσεις Πατάκη, Αθήνα 2011.
- Δάφνη Κυριάκη-Μάνεση: «Κέντρα Τεκμηρίωσης και Πληροφόρησης. Ρόλος, Λειτουργίες, Οργάνωση», εκδόσεις ΙΩΝ, 1999.
- JudithEllis (επιμέλεια): «Η διαχείριση των αρχείων», Ελληνική Αρχειακή Εταιρία τυπωθήτω-Γιώργος Δάρδανος», Αθήνα 2000.
Lectures, practical exercises.