History of the Modern Greek State and its institutions
Teaching Staff: Moschopoulos Dionysios
Course Code: ARC313
Field: General Core
Course Category: General Background
Course Type: Compulsory
Course Level: Undergraduate
Course Language: Greek
Delivery method: Face to face
Teaching Units: 4
Total Hours: 3
E Class Page: https://opencourses.ionio.gr/modules/auth/opencourses.php?fc=26
The module presents the evolution of the institutions of the Greek State during the 19th and 20th century. The approach is thematic (e.g. constitutional institutions, religious institutions, educational institutions etc). The module covers the period between the Greek Revolution of 1821 and the regime change of 1974. Emphasis is given to the terminology connected with the institutions of the Greek State.
The aim of the module is:
- The students’ familiarization with the concept of institution and its potential with respect to the functioning of the state.
- The acquiring of knowledge concerning the institutions of the Greek State over time.
- The knowledge of the terminology connected with the institutions of the Greek State
After the successful completion of their studies, students will be able to know:
- The concept of institution
- The evolution of the institutions of the Greek State thematically
- The terminology connected with the institutions of the Greek State
Week #1: Constitutional institutions (constitutional framework of the Greek State, electoral systems)
Week #2: Institutions of regional administration
Week #3: Institutions of local administration
Week #4: Institutions of public finance (taxation, customs tariff, management of public property)
Week #5: Educational institutions (levels of education, public character and financing of education, textbooks, educational reforms)
Week #6: Cultural institutions (museums, foreign archeological schools, categories of cultural objects)
Week #7: Religious institutions (organization of the Church, relations between State and Church, management of Church property)
Week #8: Justice institutions (types of courts, prisons, applicable law)
Week #9: Military institutions (conscription, education, justice, hierarchy)
Week #10: Institutions of merchant shipping (nationality of ships, education, port authorities)
Week #11: Institutions of the Navy (conscription, hierarchy, education, justice)
Week #12: Institutions of Diplomacy (international and bilateral treaties, organization of diplomatic service)
Week #13: Repetition
- Μοσχόπουλος Δ. - Προκοπιάδου Γ., Διοικητική Χαρτογράφηση του Ελληνικού κράτους 1833-1845), Αθήνα 2003,
- Βάση Δεδομένων Δοιάκι, Εφημερίδα της Κυβέρνησης 1833-1947, (επιμ. Μοσχόπουλος Δ., Προκοπιάδου Γ.), Εθνικό Κέντρο Τεκμηρίωσης (http://argo.ekt.gr)
- Μοσχόπουλος Δ. Ο Στρατηγός Κωνσταντίνος Καλλάρης και η εποχή του (1858-1941),
- Φλογαϊτης Θ., Οδηγός των Δημοσίων και Δημοτικών Υπαλλήλων, Αθήνα 1890.
- Ευλαμπίου, Σ., Η εν Ελλάδι κακοδιοίκησις τα αίτια αυτής και τα της θεραπείας μέσα, Αθήνα 1894.
Lectures, written works
Oral examination or written exams