Teaching Staff: Poulos Marios, Tzanavaris Spyros
Course Code: ARC000000000000000001
Alt Code: ΓΠ210
Field: General Core
Course Category: General Background
Course Type: Compulsory
Course Level: Undergraduate
Course Language: Greek
Delivery method: Face to face
Teaching Units: 5
Total Hours: 3
E Class Page: https://opencourses.ionio.gr/modules/auth/opencourses.php?fc=26
The course examines the basic concepts required for data analysis in social sciences such as: description of statistical data with frequencies, cumulative frequencies, statistical tables, graphs, position, dispersion and sample counts, probability distributions, normal distribution, hypothesis testing, regression analysis, statistical tests.
The laboratory part of the course takes place in an equipped laboratory area that ensures students can access computers and special software. Thus, students acquire a comprehensive and realistic understanding of statistical applications in the daily practice.
The objectives of the course are: knowledge of the basic concepts of statistics, familiarization with the description of statistical data with frequencies, cumulative frequencies, statistical tables, graphs, the development of skills related to the use of linear regression and correlation in prognosis, standard allocation, case testing and the use of statistical tests and the development of skills related to the use and operation of statistical packages.
Week #1: Basic Principles of Measurement
Week #2: Basic concepts of Statistics
Week #3: Graphic Data Presentation
Week #4: Central trend Indicators
Week #5: Dispersion Indicators
Week #6: Test Control
Week #7: Normal distribution
Week #8: The Concept of Correlation
Week #9: Computation of the Correlation Index
Week #10: Mean Comparison
Week #11: Regression analysis
Week #12: Non-Parametric Tests
Week #13: Procedure for selecting an appropriate statistical test.
Laboratory Content: the use and operation of Excel, Graph, SPSS for Graphic Data Presentation, Core Stress Indicators, Dispersion Indicators, Case Control, Regular Allocation Applications, Correlation Indexing, Comparison of Means.
- Π.Ρούσσος- Γ.Τσαούσης: ‘Statistics in the Social Sciences’, Publications Greek Letters Athens 2001.
- HOWITT, D. - CRAMER, D. ‘Statistics with SPSS’, Kleidarithmos Athens 2006.
- XANTHOS, C. ‘Using Excel for Statistical Analysis’. Stamouli Publications Athens 2005.
- Λουκάς, Σ.’Statistics’, Critical Publications
- Χ. ΝΟΒΑ-ΚΑΛΤΣΟΥΝΗ: ‘Methodology of Empirical Research in the Social Sciences’, Gutenberg Publishing Athens 2006
- MURRAY, R. ‘Probability and Statistics’, translation by Persidis, S. Mc Graw-Hill New York 1977. -Additional Educational Material: Statistical Package
Use of ICT in teaching and in laboratory education
- Written Examination with Short Response Questions (Formative, Concluding)
- Written Examination with Extended Response Questions (Formative, Concluding)
- Written Problem Solving (Formative, Concluding)