The Museology Research Laboratory (MRL-IU), under the official title “Laboratory of Museology, Protection, Restoration and Utilization of Cultural Heritage (monuments, museums, etc.)”, was founded in 2015 (Government Gazette 360 / 16-03-2015) and is part of the Department of Archives, Library Science and Museology of the Ionian University. Its members are academic staff of the Department, whose subject matter falls within the teaching and research interests of the Laboratory. It is housed in the premises of the Department of Archives, Library Science and Museology of the Ionian University, 72 Ioannou Theotoki St., on the 2nd floor.
The aims of the MRL-IU are:
- to cover museology and cultural heritage -related undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and research needs of the Department and other departments of the Ionian University,
- to develop curricula and conduct applied research,
- to cooperate with research centers, academic and other domestic and foreign institutions,
- to organize lectures, workshops, seminars, symposia, conferences and other scientific events, as well as to publish and support publications and invited lectures by Greek and foreign recognized scientists.
- to undertake and to assign specialized projects
- to provide research-related and specialized services to individuals and organisations, and to participate in competitive research programmes
Other objectives include:
- creating an attractive academic environment with synergies with the other laboratories of the Department and the Ionian University
- supporting PhD research,
- supporting research priorities and initiatives of the Department or departments where the members of the Laboratory belong,
- producing educational material for the support and promotion of research, teaching and science,
- organizing activities and events to facilitate the connection of teaching with research,
- conducting research programs, seminars and studies,
- cooperating with universities, research centers, institutions and organizations in Greece and abroad,
- taking initiatives to facilitate the connection of the Ionian University with the local community.
The Laboratory functions as an umbrella for all the activities of the Department and the Ionian University, which relate to museums and museology. It serves and complements the research and educational needs of the Department in terms of museology by addressing all the parameters that contribute to the protection, restoration, promotion, multidimensional utilization of cultural goods.
The Laboratory organizes and participates in international scientific conferences and its members publish in reputable scientific journals.
The Laboratory operates research and action teams with the participation of its members, students of the Department and external collaborating researchers. The research teams organize research, educational and other activities, participate in European and national research projects and competitions related to museology, and collaborate with scientific and cultural institutions in Greece and abroad.